A Naga curry. A possible contender for the worlds hottest curry. A blends of fresh spices and chilies to make a beautiful tasting curry along with the extreme heat of the famous DORSET NAGA CHILLI. This curry is not for the light hearted. I have spent many many hours perfecting this dish for maximum flavour and heat.
Submitted by bigsuggy
# 2 tsp cumin seeds
# 1 tbs corriander seeds
# 1 tsp black peppercorns
# 1 2/3 tsp black mustard seeds
# 3 tsp fenugreek seeds
# 1 tsp ground cardamon
# 1 (4 inch) cinnamon stick
# 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
# 1 tsp salt
# 1 tsp brown sugar
# 1 1/2 tsp cayenne
# 16-20 Dorset Naga Chillies
# 2 large onions
# 3-5 tablespoons olive oil (or ghee)
# 5 tablespoons water
# 8 garlic cloves, peeled
# large piece of root ginger, roughly chopped
# 3 tsp ground coriander seeds
# 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
# 1 tim chopped tomatoes
# 675g (1.5 lb) chicken breast fillets, cubed
# 2 medium potatoes (optional)
# 1 handfull of coriander, chopped
# 1 tsp garam masalla
- To make the curry paste, first grind the cumin, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cardamon and cinnamon together until they are a fine powder.
- Mix in the vinegar, salt, cayenne and brown sugar; set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the ghee or oil in a large frying pan until melted. Finely chop the onions and fry over a medium heat until brown.
- Keeping the oil for later use, put the onions in a blender with 2 or 3 tablespoons of water and blend until a paste consistency. Add the onions to the spices and mix.
- Put the ginger and garlic in a blender, add 2 tablespoons water and blend until smooth.
- Cook the ginger paste in the reserved oil, stir until the paste browns.
- Add the coriander and turmeric and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add the curry paste and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- Add the Dorset Naga chillies (finely chopped).
- Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes. Cook them in boiling water until slightly soft, around 10-15 minutes.
- Cube the chicken and fry in a little olive oil until white.
- Add the chicken and potatoes to the sauce for the last 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garam masalla about 2 minutes before serving
- Serve with fresh coriander, basmati rice and naan bread.
Have you actually tried this dish to say that comment.
Superb flavours too, not masked by the heat as can happen.